The Leukemia Program at Northside Hospital, (NSH-Leukemia Program) provides comprehensive, state-of-the-art services for adult patients battling acute and chronic leukemias, myelodysplastic syndromes, lymphomas, myeloma, and other blood-related cancers.
For patients with some forms of leukemia or other blood cancers, a bone marrow or stem cell transplant may be part of the treatment plan. To this end, we provide a seamless transition to our nationally recognized blood and marrow transplant program.
Care of the acute leukemia patient can be complex and requires specialized care and support services. Our interdisciplinary team members meet weekly to review and discuss each patient’s treatment plan. Other specialists, including those who provide psychosocial support, help the team meet the nonmedical needs of both patients and their caregivers. These healthcare professionals work together to provide a full spectrum of supportive care.
NSH-Leukemia Program offers patients the following:
- Prompt MD evaluation and diagnosis 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Please call (404-255-1930) to refer a patient. –How to Refer a Patient.
- Dedicated leukemia coordinators
- Dedicated health psychologist – Team Members
- Dedicated social worker – Team Members
- Access to state-of the-art clinical research trials; Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, National Cancer Institute (NCI), and biotechnology companies
- Dedicated inpatient and outpatient staff specializing in care of patients with leukemia – Team Members
- Specialized closed HEPA-filtered 36 bed inpatient unit designed for unique needs of leukemia patients – Facilities
- Outpatient care provided in a dedicated, HEPA-filtered clinic to provide maximum protection from infection – Facilities
- Blood Bank and a dedicated Blood Donor Center to fully support the specialized transfusion requirements
- Access to a highly experienced and dedicated blood and marrow transplant Program/team – Team Members
- Onsite Flow Cytometry/Molecular Diagnostics and Hematopathology Laboratory – Facilities
- Access to onsite urgent apheresis support – AtlantaBloodServices
NSH-Leukemia Program’s FACT’s:
- Provide leukemia patients with cutting edge clinical research trials, state-of-the-art treatments and a wide range of services including education, emotional, and psychological support.
- Our dedicated and experienced NSH-Leukemia Program’s Leukemia Team is amongst the most experienced in the country.
- Treats over 130 newly diagnosed leukemia patients each year.
- Committed to providing comprehensive care in a compassionate setting.